Welcome to Alaska's largest planetarium
Help us Reach for the Stars
- Juneau's planetarium is part of the Juneau School District and has been run by volunteers for over 20 years. Our presentations and events reflect the interest and knowledge of our volunteers.
- We offer free astronomy education for the public, school classes and community groups.
The planetarium is a unique community resource
The planetarium projector allows us to model the sky even when the weather is miserable! We show 'The Stars Tonight' at almost all presentations at the planetarium. Click here to learn more about our starball.
The planetarium has been run by volunteers with knowledge of and enthusiasm about astronomy. This is reflected in the planetarium's diverse offerings (click to learn more).
Upcoming Free Events
Tues. June 12th, 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Presentation on Earth's Moon
Presenter Steve Kocsis who has taught astronomy at UAS. All ages show.
Proceeded by 'The Sky Tonight
Volunteer Meeting - June 12th
From 6 pm - 7 pm there will be an informal meeting for volunteers. If you are considering volunteering at the planetarium and/or want to learn how to use starball please come. We need assistance with giving presentations, fundraising and children's programming.
Location: Downtown - 1415 Glacier Avenue
Friends of the Marie Drake Planetarium (FOMDP)
The Friends of the Marie Drake Planetarium
a 501(c)(3) was formed in 2014 to support the planetarium and
astronomy education in Juneau. We are fundraising for a new digital projector which will cost at least $35,000. This powerful tool will enable us to offer more diverse astronomy presentations.
- We need comfortable chairs. Please bring to a show or call for pick up.
- We need volunteer to do children's programming.
- We need volunteer to do hands on programming e.g. hands on astronomy demonstration or astronomy art project.
- We need fundraising assistance
- Grant writing
- Organizing a fundraising event such as giving a powerpoint travelogue or organizing a garage sale.
- ideas for planetarium shows and events
- constructive suggestions for improvement
- want to volunteer or make a donation
- fundraising and grant suggestions
- want to request a free astronomy presentation for your school group or community group. We will try to find a volunteer at a mutually agreeable time. Please let us know topic, number of attendees and ages/grades of attendees.
- Clark Branch, 723-8044
- Rosemary Walling, 723-0692
- Steve Kocsis
- Cristina Della Rosa
- John Kremers